91% of Every Ransomware Attack Today Includes Exfiltrating Your Data

Dangerous Fake RansomwareNew insight into ransomware attacks show that cyber attacks are a top concern for organizations – with many not aware they were a victim until after the attack.

According to Arctic Wolf’s The State of Cybersecurity: 2024 Trends Report, 91% of reported ransomware attacks included a data exfiltration effort. This is far more than the sub-80% numbers we’ve seen from the Coveware quarterly reports we cover.

Next, only 57% of victims were notified of the data exfiltration by those behind the ransomware attack. This puts a big question in my mind about whether the other 43% found out earlier or later than they would have had they been notified. Given the Arctic Wolf data shows that within 91% of attacks including exfiltration, only 5% of attacks were successfully stopped (meaning the exfiltration was attempted only).

So, we have a material percentage of ransomware attacks in which the exfiltration isn’t stopped and isn’t detected until the threat actors notify the victim.

That’s terrifying and a sad commentary on the readiness of organizations today.

This kind of data is why we’re so passionate about addressing the human risk that exists in every cyber attack; by having users understanding the role they play in either enabling or stopping cyber attacks through continual new-school security awareness training, organizations have a far better chance of being a part of the organizations that don’t become victims in the first place.

KnowBe4 empowers your workforce to make smarter security decisions every day. Over 65,000 organizations worldwide trust the KnowBe4 platform to strengthen their security culture and reduce human risk.

Free Ransomware Simulator Tool

Threat actors are constantly coming out with new strains to evade detection. Is your network effective in blocking all of them when employees fall for social engineering attacks?

KnowBe4’s "RanSim" gives you a quick look at the effectiveness of your existing network protection. RanSim will simulate 24 ransomware infection scenarios and 1 cryptomining infection scenario and show you if a workstation is vulnerable.

RansIm-Monitor3Here's how it works:

  • 100% harmless simulation of real ransomware and cryptomining infections
  • Does not use any of your own files
  • Tests 25 types of infection scenarios
  • Just download the install and run it 
  • Results in a few minutes!

Get RanSim!

PS: Don't like to click on redirected buttons? Cut & Paste this link in your browser:


Subscribe to Our Blog

Comprehensive Anti-Phishing Guide

Get the latest about social engineering

Subscribe to CyberheistNews