Lance Spitzner said:
- Eat breakfast, it may be the last meal you get that day.
- Schedule the most important meetings in the morning.
- RSA gives you a back-pack. Don't use it at the con, there will be 35,000+ back-packs just like yours.
- Comfortable shoes
Here are a few more:
- Bring your own reusable water bottle and stay hydrated
- Comfortable clothes with those shoes!
- Extra pair of socks in your ruck
- Power down your phone and bring a burner instead with a cheap SIM card from the airport.
Make the most of RSA by walking around as much as you can. Not only does SF have amazing food and sites, you can knock out 10K-20K steps a day. One of few cons where you can leave healthier. Challenge yourself, see how many steps you walk by end of each day.
If you are at RSA and want to get away from the noise and are a coffee/tea fanatic, found a great place for nerding out. Quiet place that everyone appears to be missing - The Interval in Fort Mason."
And Gideon Rasmussen, CISSP, CRISC, CISA, CISM, CIPP suggested:
"The greatest values of the RSA conference are knowledge gained from the sessions, exposure to emerging security technologies on the expo floor, catching up with colleagues and making new connections. You need to prepare well in advance to make the most of the conference and after-hours activities.
- Schedule your conference sessions in advance. Some of them will fill up. It takes 2-3 hours to schedule five days of sessions. Use the 'Reserve your Seat' feature of the RSA website, then export the calendar and import into your smart phone. Refer to these instructions:
Have a healthy balance when scheduling conference sessions. Schedule sessions:
– That will help you in your current role
– For projects you may be called upon to do
– To prepare for a future role
– For emerging policies and technology
Reserve a seat for presentations of friends, colleagues and practitioners/leaders that you admire. Send a message letting them know you will be there. You want to have the scheduling done before you get on the plane.
- Schedule events outside of the conference (also within your phone calendar). RSA has special events listed here: https://www.rsaconference.com/events/us18/agenda/special-events. There are also many vendor events. Your mailbox is likely full of them. Most events serve alcohol. Limit yourself to one or two drinks max. A week at RSA is like a marathon. You need to pace yourself and get plenty of rest.
- Schedule time with your professional contacts. Hallway conversations and a quick coffee or lunch have great value.
By now, your phone calendar has RSA sessions and after-hours activities scheduled. The next step is to reach out to your contacts. Determine if they will be at RSA. Exchange mobile numbers and add them to your phone's contact list.
- As the conference gets closer, slide decks for a subset of presentations become available online. Download them in advance to avoid issues with network connectivity while at the conference.
- Bring a rain coat, umbrella and comfortable shoes. The conference space is huge. There will be 40,000+ attendees. Be prepared to walk 5 miles per day, between walking to/from the hotel, between sessions, on the exhibit floor and to after-hours events.
Manage expectations at work. Let them know you will be out of pocket and delegate. Oh, and one last thing... Enjoy yourself at the conference!!! Link to his site: http://www.gideonrasmussen.com/rsa-conference-prep.html
Here's Your RSA Exhibit Hall Pass
And drop by Tuesday, April 17, 3-6pm at KnowBe4’s Booth.
Drop by KnowBe4’s Booth 5004, North Hall at the Kevin Mitnick New Book Signing! Make a selfie with the ‘World’s Most Famous Hacker’ and get a signed copy of his new book:
Get your light-up "Axe To Grind With Ransomware!" swag, and see a demo of the innovative KnowBe4 Security Awareness Training Platform to train and phish your users. Plus, be entered to win a DJI Spark Drone.
Don’t have a pass yet? We’ve got you covered. Use code X8EKNOWB to register for your complimentary Exhibit Hall Only Pass. Come find me and Kevin at Booth 5004 Tuesday!: