European Union Healthcare Sees the Number of Cyber Incidents Double in 2023

EU healthcare incidents doubledA new report focused on the healthcare sector sheds light on the state of cyber attacks in the European Union, including the types of attacks, who’s targeted, motivations, and who’s responsible.

The newly-released Health Threat Landscape report from the European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA) is the first analysis completed by the agency and covers incidents from 2021 through March of 2023. The data compiled paints a picture of both what healthcare in the EU has experienced the last two years, as well as provides some insight into what to expect more of this year. From the report:

  • Incidents are up, with Q1 of 2023 alone equating to half of all 2022’s incidents, and representing a nearly 100% increase over Q1 of 2022
  • France experienced the most incidents, followed by Spain, Germany, the Netherlands, and Italy
  • Hospitals were the primary target by a lot, representing 53% of all incidents, with 13 other categories of healthcare-related businesses taking up the other 47%
  • Ransomware was the leading type of attack, responsible for 54%
  • To no surprise, external threat actors seeking financial gain represented the largest segments of actor type and motivation

When 2023 data is presented within the report, it’s evident that some of the targets and attack types are shifting focus as cybercriminals seek to find new organizations that are willing to be their next victim. But one overarching trend is clear: with the number of attacks nearly doubling, you can be certain to expect this to continue throughout the year.

Free Phishing Security Test

Would your users fall for convincing phishing attacks? Take the first step now and find out before bad actors do. Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with phishing Industry Benchmarks. The Phish-prone percentage is usually higher than you expect and is great ammo to get budget.

PST ResultsHere's how it works:

  • Immediately start your test for up to 100 users (no need to talk to anyone)
  • Select from 20+ languages and customize the phishing test template based on your environment
  • Choose the landing page your users see after they click
  • Show users which red flags they missed, or a 404 page
  • Get a PDF emailed to you in 24 hours with your Phish-prone % and charts to share with management
  • See how your organization compares to others in your industry

Go Phishing Now!

PS: Don't like to click on redirected buttons? Cut & Paste this link in your browser:

Topics: Cybersecurity

Subscribe To Our Blog

Comprehensive Anti-Phishing Guide

Get the latest about social engineering

Subscribe to CyberheistNews